Thursday, June 26, 2008

That which you manifest is before you.



I just finished reading this book, and honestly, I have never been so on the verge of tears or just so emotionally affected by a story. And I'm not generally affected or impressed by much at all, so me saying that is a big deal. :P I couldn't put it down, it was just so riveting and so insightful, I was absolutely touched. But any words that I use to describe it won't do the story justice, I deeply suggest reading it!

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.
Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.
On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through. Having learned what it takes to be a compassionate and successful person, the wise canine can barely wait until his next lifetime, when he is sure he will return as a man.
A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.
-

4 comments:

Mariel said...

That sounds like a really interesting read: I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm in the library.

yiqin; said...

My friend loved this book too..I need to look out for it at the bookstores!

Ella Gregory said...

Sounds good. I need a break from chick lit!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review, Michelle. I hope you all love it!

Garth